Ingredients: makes 6
200g ground chicken
3 pieces aburaage
2 shiitake mushrooms
1 teaspoon sesame oil
salt and pepper to taste
300 ml water
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon cooking sake
1 tablespoon mirin (or 1 tablespoon cooking sake with 1 teaspoon sugar)
2 teaspoons sugar
2 pinches salt
1. Mince the carrot, shiitake mushrooms, and onion.
2. Boil water, pour it over the aburaage, and gently squeeze out the water. This is a normal step in preparing aburaage necessary to remove additional oil.
3. Cut the aburaage in half crosswise, and gently open to form a pouch. This is easiest done with your fingers. Do it slowly to avoid creating any holes!
4. In a bowl, mix the ground chicken, vegetables, egg, sesame oil, and salt/pepper.
5. Divide the mixture into 6 equal parts, and stuff into the aburaage. Close the seam with a toothpick.
6. Put the stock into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Put the stuffed aburaage into the saucepan, cover with an otoshibuta, and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
This dish is yummy either hot or at room temperature. Hope you enjoy this recipe!