Up and Down #15 / A Piece of Me… in June 2011

June 6 is Dragon Boat Festival Day in China and many other Asian countries.  It’s a day to eat Zongzi (rice wrapped in bamboo leaves with yummy things inside).  It is also the start of the summer, similar to Memorial Day in the US, even though school isn’t quite out yet over here.

Anyway, I’ll take any excuse to eat yummy things. (images via google search)

The sweet ones, filled with bean paste, seem to be more popular where I am.

I prefer the savory ones with pork (although this picture links to a NYC food truck…)

On to my Ups and Downs!

Ups:
Sonia Kashuk Brush Couture Flat Top Multipurpose Blush/Powder Brush
This brush was a gift from Kathy of Mai-Kat Oshaberi.  It gives me an airbrushed finish without the hassle of a conventional stippling brush.  A full review is coming up!

Sonia Kashuk Blusher Brush
This brush is also a gift from Kathy.  I like it better than my MAC blusher brush, and it’s less than half the price!

Wet ‘n Wild Mega Glow Illuminating Powder in Strike-A-Pose Rose
This was a gift from Diana. It’s a lovely shimmery rose blush, and it makes me look like I’ve been on vacation! (stock photo)

Cooking new dishes.  I love Chinese steamed fish.  The plus side: this was SUPER easy!

Couch to 5k!  I seriously need new shoes.  I’m using really old sneakers because I didn’t think I would be able to continue running for several weeks.  Has anyone tried Nike Frees?

Downs:
– 30+ degree weather.  That’s 85+ deg F.  I get up at 6:30 AM on weekends so that I can run before it gets too hot!

– Getting sick easily.  This is getting to be a pain.  If I don’t eat well for 1 week, I immediately get sick!  And when I get sick, my weight loss plan goes on hiatus until I get better!

– Having SUPER SLOW internet.  This is why I haven’t been posting/replying to comments/tweeting as much as I want to!

———————————–
It’s time for A Piece of Me in June 2011.
This month…

I like: having a blogger meet up next week!!!!!

I don’t like: not being able to stay healthy.  Again.

I want you to know: that I’ve been purging my blog roll.  If I’ve deleted you but you want to stay on, please let me know!

I’ve planned: not anything, really! What do you have planned?

Please like & share:

24 Thoughts on “Up and Down #15 / A Piece of Me… in June 2011

1. Jamillacamel on June 4, 2011 at 14:59 said:

Thanks for sharing – great pics! I know what you mean about getting sick in China – whenever I took a team to Shanghai, most of them ended up getting gastric problems. I think it’s just adjusting to a new environment. Stay healthy!

Enjoy your blogger meet!

2. Lulu on June 4, 2011 at 16:43 said:

I love the savory ones too, my friend and i attempted to make our own the other day, and amazingly they came out pretty good and tasted just like the ones our moms used to make hmmm 😀 wah it’s SO hot in China!! oh boy! and blogger meet, how exciting!! 😉 ;p ^_^ hehehehe <3

3. I’m so glad that you like those two brushes. I use mine every day too. Way to go that you’re running! I can’t do that.

Yay to a blogger meetup! Have fun!

I don’t like it when you get sick too! Take extra special care.

4. Jess L. on June 4, 2011 at 21:27 said:

Oh zongzi… we have been eating this for dinner (the savory ones) a lot recently. Self-made of course! 🙂

I’m sorry to hear that your health isn’t doing that well these days, but I hope it gets better soon, Kay! <3

5. mandy on June 4, 2011 at 21:44 said:

My grandma made both kinds last weekend! I especially like the sticky savory ones because my grandma specially makes for me hehe. But the sweet ones are nice too. We like to dip it in sugar 😀 I didn’t know that the stuff inside was bean paste! Mmm..
    The ones my grandma makes are yellow in color..I wonder which one is the authentic one. (Or maybe it’s different in the regions of China.)

6. bangbangsheshoots on June 5, 2011 at 01:54 said:

I miss Zongzi so much! feel better soon! I know the feeling of being sick!

7. cosmeddicted on June 5, 2011 at 08:05 said:

Thank you!  I will!

8. cosmeddicted on June 5, 2011 at 08:05 said:

I’m really looking forward to meeting up with you!

Wow, you made zongzi!!  How did you find the leaves?

9. cosmeddicted on June 5, 2011 at 08:06 said:

Thank you SO much for the brushes!  They are fantastic!!!!

Good luck on the wedding, and congratulations again!

10. cosmeddicted on June 5, 2011 at 08:06 said:

Wow, you’re making Zongzi!  That’s amazing!!

11. cosmeddicted on June 5, 2011 at 08:07 said:

Yes, some people make the yellow ones here too.  I think both are authentic 🙂

12. cosmeddicted on June 5, 2011 at 08:07 said:

Isn’t it funny that they are called “中華ちまき” in japan? I’ve never heard of non-Chinese chimaki…

13. bangbangsheshoots on June 5, 2011 at 10:58 said:

yeah they sell a really authentic one in Shinbashi where I work but it’s actually different to Zongzi, zongzi are a lot drier and they have different types according to what chinese group are from.. my family make Hakka style and I loveeee it

14. Happy Dragon Boat Festival Day!! 🙂
    (it’s June 6th in NZ haha ^^;)
    You made me really want to eat 粽子 T____T”

15. What a coinky dink!  I haven’t tried Nike Frees but just did a post on EasyTones if you’re interested.  ;P  Chinese steamed fish is BOMB.

Hope you had a nice weekend  =)

16. savory ones ftw! 🙂 i am totally pigging out on it everyday…. 🙂

17. Your post is very nostalgic for me too…. My family would eat zhongzi back in Singapore. I haven’t had one in years….

Hope you feel better re health/getting sick…Sending good vibes to ya!

18. cosmeddicted on June 6, 2011 at 16:15 said:

I’ll have to try the chimaki in Shinbashi!

19. cosmeddicted on June 6, 2011 at 16:15 said:

Happy Dragon Boat Festival day!

20. cosmeddicted on June 6, 2011 at 16:16 said:

Oooh, I’ll have to check out your post!  I just sprained my ankle though, so I’m waiting for the swelling to go down.

21. cosmeddicted on June 6, 2011 at 16:16 said:

Sounds great!  Now you’ve made me hungry!!

22. cosmeddicted on June 6, 2011 at 16:17 said:

Thank you!!

23. sarah on June 7, 2011 at 13:19 said:

yum, that fish looks great 😀 i hope you get to keep eating well so you stay healthy! i also hope you find a new pair of good sneakers.

24. cosmeddicted on June 12, 2011 at 22:15 said:

Thanks!!  I hope I get better soon!