Weight Loss – Week 4: Increase Your Fiber

Note: I need some encouragement this week.  Just so you know!

Yet another habit which was so easy for me in Japan, but so hard for me once I moved… This week’s habit is Increase Your Fiber.

Increasing your fiber helps you to feel fuller for longer, and fills you up for less calories.  As Lyn from Escape from Obesity says, “A high fiber diet can relieve constipation, increase digestive tract health, and decreases the risk of certain cancers. It helps stabilize blood sugar levels, decreases the risk of diabetes, and decreases the risk of heart disease. It can help lower your cholesterol too.”

I’ve traveled a lot for work my entire career, and I’ve noticed that I get constipated when I am out of Japan.  In fact, I get so uncomfortable that I have to start eating high fiber cereals such as All-Bran, which is definitely not tasty.

I’ve come to realize that a traditional Japanese diet is very high in fiber.  Okara (the remaining soy solids after making soy milk and tofu, not to be confused with Okra), hijiki (a kind of seaweed), and kinpira are all examples of Japanese dishes which are high in fiber.  When I am away from Japan, my intake of fiber decreases unless I make a conscious choice to eat more fiber-rich foods.

I honestly did not do well this week.  I am going to try again next week.  I did not get enough sleep on Sunday night and it seriously messed up my week… I’ve been seriously exhausted!  Wish me luck, everyone – it’s been a really hard week!

This week’s weigh in: 67.1kg / 148lbs (+0.4kg)

Yes, I’m disappointed that I didn’t lose weight. Oh well, I will try again this coming week!  Please help me get through it!

20 Thoughts on “Weight Loss – Week 4: Increase Your Fiber

1. You can do it! I don’t blame you though, I’m not a high fiber kind of person either. Are you able to get okara in China? When I was eating way healthier (once upon a time) I used to use okara instead of potatoes/fillers when making patties. Usually for corned beef patties, you use canned corned beef and either grated or mashed potatoes but I would substitute it with okara. Same when making hamburgers. Somehow, I don’t see okara as often in the stores anymore. If I think of anything else that’s hidden high fiber that I use, I’ll let you know.

2. You are still doing great, Kay! Hope you get to rest up this weekend so you can get back on track – everything is harder when you’re feeling tired. =/

& dude, I totally agree with you. I get sick just from eating out too often because it’s seriously hard to get enough fiber when you don’t cook at home! Soba noodles, quinoa and brown/purple rice are some of my favorites, and I try to have whole grain english muffins for breakfast. (But apparently only eating soba noodles is a terrible idea XD ^^;;)

Good luck with next week! *hugs*

3. Coffretgorge on March 26, 2011 at 13:09 said:

Hi Kaye! don’t worry too much about gaining a bit of weight, i think its normal for our weight to fluctuate especially if you travel a lot and eat different kinds of food. do u still spend 30mins on your wii fit?

i hope u do find more tasty high-fiber food to help you load up without putting much effort in swallowing it hehe ;)

go go go! you can do it! :)

4. ah not too bad. 頑張で

5. Skinscrubs on March 26, 2011 at 15:38 said:

I’ve had to write off this week myself. I had Dominos Pizza and a Indian takeaway last night too! I guess the best thing to do is keep on trying. There is always going to be bad weeks and stuff that gets in the way. People who have had long term weight loss always say they never gave up. We are human therefore we aren’t perfect.

Also keep in mind you are probably still in shock over what has happened in Japan and worrying about your family and friends. Sending you a big hug from the UK!! <<>>

6. Luluchinadoll on March 26, 2011 at 16:22 said:

don’t get discouraged, a little fluctuations is normal hehe. i’m sure u’ll do well next week! i’ve been doing really bad myself lately, lots of crazy stuff have been happening in our lives and totally threw me off from continuing to be active and eating healthy. but i plan on restarting on monday, cross fingers! i always have to carry fiber pills with me when i travel cuz I think we eat more fiber when we are at home?

7. cosmeddicted on March 26, 2011 at 16:50 said:

Thank you for the encouragement! I don’t know if you can get okara in China. I heard it’s usually used for animal feed.

I guess I don’t really eat as many healthy meals as i used to!

8. cosmeddicted on March 26, 2011 at 16:51 said:

Why is eating only soba terrible???? I had forgotten that soba had high fiber. I’ll try that soon!!!!

Thank you so much for the encouragement!

9. cosmeddicted on March 26, 2011 at 16:52 said:

Yes, I’ve still been spending time on my Wii Fit! Thank you for the encouragement!

10. cosmeddicted on March 26, 2011 at 16:52 said:

ありがとう!

11. cosmeddicted on March 26, 2011 at 16:52 said:

Thanks for the encouragement. You’re right, this should be a long term thing!

12. cosmeddicted on March 26, 2011 at 16:54 said:

Lulu!!! We haven’t chatted in ages!!! Thank you for the encouragement. Fiber pills sound like a good idea! I wonder why we eat more fiber when we are at home?

13. Reading through the comments, I did forget that Leland takes metamucil pills everyday so that he can get his fiber. We do like to eat soba too. I don’t know if it’s considered fiber but Mai and I do take an enzyme pill before our biggest meal and that’s supposed to help with digestion too.

14. YOU CAN DO IT!!! Do they have Fiber One Chewy Bars over there? They are really yummy and come in all kinds of flavors. I munched on them all the time when I was was on Weight Watchers because they had a low point value because they were so high in fiber.
    XoXO

15. cosmeddicted on March 27, 2011 at 12:31 said:

Thank you for the advice. It looks like I’m really going to have to find some fiber pills!

16. cosmeddicted on March 29, 2011 at 06:21 said:

I think Fiber One bars are an American thing! Unfortunately, I’ve never really seen granola bars or anything similar in Asia!

17. sarah on April 7, 2011 at 07:54 said:

i LOVE hijiki! i eat tons and tons and tons of it whenever my moms makes it haha. you can do it :) some days are harder than others and especially if you can’t make drastic life changes, the weight loss is very slow. one day at a time <3

18. sarah on April 7, 2011 at 07:55 said:

OH. and let me know if you want me to send you any sort of american snacks/etc.

19. cosmeddicted on April 8, 2011 at 06:21 said:

Thanks!! I don’t actually like hijiki, hahahaha.

20. cosmeddicted on April 8, 2011 at 06:21 said: